check out my newest project Sometimesdaily with Amanda Congdon

Amanda UnBoomed

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Making Progress Making Deals

So my birthday weekend is over and it's back to real life.

Thank goodness for Endeavor. Ever since I started working with them in May they've been kicking ass. They're a bunch of really great people. In this last month, we've had to totally change course (obviously), and that's been tough. But we've completely regrouped and Ari has sent in the troops ;). To be honest, I was a little nervous telling Ari about the split in the first place. I emailed him about it but he was on vacation overseas and was out of the loop. I think he actually heard the news when he picked up a newspaper in London... he then called me immediately (I remember it was like 1 in the morning) to make sure everything was ok.

It's great working with people you respect and who respect you. Ari stands up for what he believes in and makes things happen... he's just one of those people who gets things done. When I met him in May and he had me cracking up the entire time I said to myself: this is the right guy for me.

I've also recently been working very closely with another agent, Lisa Harrison-- this link is from '98 and was like the only thing online that I could dig up about her-- she's so stealth ;)! Lisa is great. Brilliant, strong, funny and no bullshit. Doesn't get better than that. Ari has really built me an outstanding team... big ups to Conan Smith, Ivo Fischer and Brittany Balbo at Endeavor as well.

Anyway, deal making takes time... especially when you want to make sure it's done right. I've gotten a lot of emails from the press and from my readers/viewers/friends asking what's going on. And I have to say it's just not fair that I told the guy from the WSJ more than I have said on my blog. Thanks to those of you who called me out on that. You guys deserve to hear it first... and I am going to make sure you do from now on. While I still can't say who I'll be working with... I can talk about how I'll be working. At least one of the whos should be exposed by sometime next week, but I say that tentatively because things get turned on their heads in an instant "in this business" (I hate when people say shit like that! ;) ). I am very happy though because it looks like I will be able to do exactly what I want to do. And that is... to mind the gap between old and new media. How will I do that, you ask (well, maybe you don't care but chances are you do if you've read this far)? By engaging in the following:

1. News Media.

I will likely be working with a well-known news outlet as a producer, writer and host of a videoblog. I will possibly be working with this company in other more mainstream capacities as well.

2. Entertainment.

I will likely be doing something on TV that involves comedy.

3. School My Way.

I will be launching my own personal site... which will have video, text, maybe even audio. I am working with a great, grassroots, independent videoblogging company to make this happen. I'm thinking I will do one of those amandacongdon.com/_____ dealies. I'm working on the design now.

4. I will be taking a trip.

And you can come with me (if you want to). Nuff said about that. ;)

5. I will be writing a book. This is already certain... it's more about me getting my ducks in a row so I can devote some serious time to this project.

Anyway, sorry I couldn't be more specific... but my agents would beat me. They may very well beat me for saying as much as I've said ;). As soon as I know anything more I will run to my blog to tell all of you lovelies.

When I saw Maryam Scoble at BlogHer she mentioned that she and her husband Robert both run to their computers when they get home and have something to blog about... they fight over who can blog it first! Hilarious. Now that's a sitcom waiting to happen.

18 Comments:

  • At 2:45 PM, Blogger Steve Garfield said…

    Hi Amanda!

    Great update.

    Now I have a place to point people to when they ask me what you are doing...

    I want to take a trip with you.
    --Steve

     
  • At 3:34 PM, Blogger JuanFalla said…

    Sounds everything is going "the right way". So congrats on that. I guess we'll all be waiting for next week to hear more about it.

    bye!

     
  • At 3:46 PM, Blogger Great Stone Face said…

    Glad to hear things are going well. We'll all be following you. Happy Birthday, too. So you're a Leo? Leo's are tough & smart. I know, I was fortunate to marry one.

     
  • At 3:46 PM, Blogger Bryan said…

    Yay! More Amanda! :D!!

    I cannot wait to sink my teeth into that book :)!

     
  • At 5:12 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Rise, oh Phoenix, rise!! :-)

    I am baiting my breath in anticipation.

    Marius

     
  • At 5:14 PM, Blogger The Villager said…

    Well, it looks like exciting things are in the works for you, it will be interesting to see where you pop up while "minding the gap" (don't get stuck in the subway door). I'm not sure where us non-issue-bloggers fit in the brave new world of new media, although I have some opinions on that subject. Actually, I was always pleased when your former show ventured beyond tech to cover some non-geek stories. Even I've got to pay attention to the analog world sometimes! Ah, I'm afraid this turned into a ramble. Good luck!

     
  • At 7:30 PM, Blogger Amyloo said…

    I'm not so sure you -- or anybody -- can have it both ways, and keep a foot in MSM and another in independent internet media. I'm not sure you can't do it either. This is all brand new stuff and nobody knows how it's going to look in a year. It does seem like something would have to give, you know? You'll probably have to be prepared to sacrifice at least some grassroots street cred with the indie crowd.

     
  • At 7:51 PM, Blogger Amanda said…

    I hear you, Amy. It's my passion though... so I'm going to dive in head first. I think there is a lot of progress to be made in the middle.

     
  • At 7:59 PM, Blogger rockethenry said…

    Good luck, Amanda. We'll all be pulling for you. (smile)

    d henry

     
  • At 9:57 PM, Blogger Steve said…

    Great stuff, Amanda! I first landed here from Ze's Show and, now that I am here, I'm looking forward to your new projects.

     
  • At 10:32 PM, Blogger moldor said…

    Hey Amanda,

    Love the "happier than ever" pic...:-)

    My 6 year old daughter refers to it as "that strange lady"..

    BTW, I *do* like the swimsuit one...:-)

    Jon

     
  • At 2:33 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Come to Spain for your holidays¡¡¡¡¡

    We'll take care of you.

    You'll need a lot of energy for your new proyects...

     
  • At 2:35 AM, Blogger - Terrence said…

    Diving and getting going is the right movew, Amanda. The key is following your passion and turning into a viable future. With a mix of mainstream and videoblogging you can do that. Who cares how the two meld together or if they ever do?

    Don't worry abot the state of things don the line because they are sure to change dramatically. The key is to simply be prepared to roll with it. Isn't that what RSS is for? ;)

     
  • At 9:42 AM, Blogger Doug said…

    Hey, Amanda. Welcome back. It's always nice to take a much needed break on occasion.

    Glad to hear things are going well. We look forward to seeing what happens with these opportunities. Best of luck!

     
  • At 3:53 PM, Blogger danielmcvicar said…

    Hi Amanda,'

    Good for you...and I look forward to all your projects..especially the book. Brava!

    On your trip you certainly have taken the road less traveled, are making a difference, and seem to be bringing a group. Count me in.

    D

     
  • At 10:51 AM, Blogger Crackpot Press said…

    Endeavor hands down is the best agency out there. They are the last of the full service agencies.

    They really take care of their clients.

    Well Done!

     
  • At 4:21 PM, Blogger Zennie said…

    Ah....

    It figures. Another Leo (me, August 4th)...Happy Belated Birthday.

     
  • At 1:57 PM, Blogger Amanda said…

    I'm August 4th too, Zennie! Although I was almost August 3rd... I was born 1 min after midnight.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home